Summer Round-Up: I Never Want It to End!

Best thing after a long work week: raspberries in the park // Summer sky // Painted more furniture black and enjoyed sitting outside while it dried

Wow! What a Summer! No time to sit inside blogging when there's Summer fun to be had! This is what I was up to in June, July, and August instead of blogging.

Movies Watched
Frances Ha - It made me sad. Sad about being alone and friends moving on with their lives without you.
Maleficent - I was looking forward to this since I heard of it and it did not disappoint!
Bad Teacher
My Blueberry Nights
Words and Pictures - I got an advanced screening pass from work, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. It was definitely "thought-provoking" re: visual art, writing, and teen sexual harassment.
Wreck-It Ralph
Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor 2 - I had a Marvel craving.
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4 - And then a pirate adventure craving.
Funny Girl - Love 60's movies. Love musicals. Love Barbara Streisand.
Stepbrothers
Sucker Punch - One of my favorite movies. I watch it when I need some badass-tough-chick inspiration.
Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises
Guardians of the Galaxy - Loved it! I would go see it in the theatre again if I wasn't broke.

TV Watched
Orphan Black: Season 1 - I was about to start season 2 when I realized I had completely forgotten how we left season 1.
QI
Broad City - I think this was my third viewing. I just love them so much!
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Favorite new show this year. So good.
How I Met Your Mother - Yes, I actually made it this long without ever watching HIMYM. I knew everyone was disappointed with the finale, but I didn't know everything about it. After falling in love with all the characters and the show, I wish someone would have warned me to just not even watch the last couple episodes. It just ruined the whole thing for me.
The O.C. 
Doctor Who has returned!

Web Series Watched
Day Job - Sara Schaefer shares the lows and very lows of having an office job.
Spooked - The first (?) scripted show from Geek & Sundry!
Inside Amy Schumer -This isn't a web series so much as it is clips from her actual TV show, I guess.
HeyUSA! - Grace Helbig & Mamrie Hart travel around the USA being their weird selves.
Broad City - Yes, it's a real TV show now but it started as a web series.
Chloe and Zoë - I love these girls.
Adult Wednesday Addams - I'm just jealous that I didn't come up with this idea first.
The Daly Show - It's just so goddamn funny, I watch it again and again.

Books Read
Jurassic Park - With all the weekends at my parents house in the country, camping trips, and picnics in the park, I was able to finish a book! I read it in high school and really enjoyed it so this was a fun re-read.

Music Played
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Chlöe Howl - Señorita, Disappointed, Girls & Boys
DJ Raff - Latino & Proud
Kongos - Lunatic
Banks - Goddess
Betty Who - Heartbreak Dream
Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear
Paramore - Paramore
Tove Lo - Truth Serum
78violet - Hothouse
Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Games Played
I had to buy a shelf just for board games // Recent purchases // I am always Wario and I always win


PS3: Little Big Planet Karting, Mortal Kombat, InFamous, Child of Light
My brother finally handed over (one of) his PS3 to me. I consider myself a retro gamer, so I'm not interested in newer consoles, but Felicia Day told me about this beautiful game, Child of Light, that I was desperate to play, so I insisted on a PS3. The game is beautiful, very fairy-tale-esque, and my style of gameplay. I also tried out some of the games my brother already had loaded on the PS3. I liked InFamous until I died. I don't like games that are difficult. I don't like dying and having to do a level over and over.

N64: Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2
I spent way too much money on these games on eBay. But, considering they are the only reasons I wanted an N64 and I haven't seen them anywhere online for less than $50 each, I got a deal on the two together. They both bring out my crazy competitive side. Peach has become my nemesis in Mario Party. I yelled a lot of NSFW words at her...

Board Games: Say Anything, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Wheel of Fortune, Trivial Pursuit
These are some old games that my mom got from a coworker for her to donate, but she gave them to me instead. Say Anything is a new game I bought and we played it three times in a row, so I guess it was a hit! It's a really fun game to play with friends you know really well. You write your own answers, so we had a lot of laughs playing this game.

Cakes Made
I made cakes for my friend's mom's 50th birthday and her daughter's 2nd birthday. A steampunk welder helmet for Mom and a cute pink cake that didn't quite make the journey for little Clover.



Fun Had
Canada Day // I got my first Nerd Block in June // I made my friend's daughter a smash cake

 
Pigtails mean camping // Perfect weather // We stopped at The Big Apple / Colorful campfire / Aquarium

Our camping trip was part camping, part staying in Toronto for cheap. My friend Kelsey had an appointment at a bridal shop to try on dresses and then we went to the Toronto aquarium. There were a few groups of us, family & friends, camping next to each other so there were big campfires and games of Cards Against Humanity. Our group of four enjoyed making our meals together, lawn games, shopping, lots of friend time and some chill time. We all were wishing we didn't have to go back to work after.

The next weekend, I did something I've never done before. I got my ears pierced! Yes, at 24 years old I had never had any piercings. I just was never really interested in it when I was younger, and then as I got older I liked the idea of not having any piercings or tattoos. I had been thinking about these piercings for a while, though, and we finally found a time to go get pierced! They seem to be healing nicely, and I'm looking forward to changing the boring silver barbells for black hoops. (I never wanted silver balls on my ears, I got these piercings specifically for gold hoops. Gold is more expensive though, so I'm starting with black.)
That evening, as my ears throbbed in steady pain, we went to see The Book of Mormon. I wasn't overwhelmed. It had some pretty funny moments, the musical numbers were great, but overall it didn't seem worth the money to see it from up on the balcony.

The quarry is the perfect spot to take panoramas // I didn't want to jump in the dirty water because of my new piercings // August ended in a double rainbow

The rest of my summer included lots of game nights, good times with friends, parties with co-workers and one particularly awesome day swimming at a quarry.

Links & Likes 

One day my Brazilian boss wrote down "Meu pedacinho de chão" on a piece of paper and told me to go home and Google it. He said it was a Brazilian TV show and that everyone on it had colorful hair like mine. I only see one girl with pink hair, but it looks like a very colorful, fun show! I wish I could find it with English subtitles!

I almost convinced my friends to go on a Color Run with me, but half of them were put off by the word "run" and half actually wanted to run. I was just in it for the color powder, but the ladies of A Beautiful Mess showed me how to make your own color powder.

I still watch Sia's video for Chandelier once in a while. I love the abstract dance routine.

I always love Walk Off the Earth's covers. Their cover of Rude is really fun.
Dancing Baby Groot is so cute, I cry.

No comments: