May Round-Up: Purple Hair, Miyazaki, & New Board Games!

Weekend at my parents' house. // Hot tub selfie! // Miyazaki marathon

Movies Watched 
Coraline, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - These are in my very small DVD collection (the rest are digital). I only buy movies I really love and want to see special features on DVD.

Jennifer’s Body, The Ramen Girl - It was hard to find some movies that all my friends would enjoy while we all hung out while my friend did my hair. I really recommend The Ramen Girl, starring Brittany Murphy.

My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - I had a mostly Miyazaki/Japanese movie week. It's hard to pick a movie without any sort of love story when you are just not in the mood for seeing anyone in love, but Miyazaki movies are great adventures without any stupid romance.

Warm Bodies - The only zombie movie I'll ever need. Sooooo cute!

Ass Backwards - I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie until I listened to Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael on the Nerdist podcast talking about making the movie and I decided that it deserved my attention. It's a great buddy comedy.

Imagine Me & You - It's a cute little love story about a girl falling for a girl right after she married a man. One of those cute British rom-coms.

TV Watched
Charmed - My "background watching" this month, as I've seen it all a million times, but I haven't watched it in a couple years.

The Mindy Project: Season 2- Because I'm a masochist and I love/hate re-watching all the adorable Mindy + Danny = <3 scenes.
  
Music Played
Neon Jungle - It's fun dance-pop, but definitely watch them cover Hozier's Take Me to Church. I'm a little obsessed with Asami's (the Japanese girl) voice. I want a solo acoustic album from her. Damn, that voice.

Glorious by Foxes - It's fun dance-able pop, but it's also kinda retro groovy, akin to Ellie Goulding, a bit dreamy.

Sheezus by Lily Allen - I realized after a few listenings that almost every song mentions her husband & babies, so I'm dubbing it "Mom-Pop". Heh heh.

Games Played
 
I raided my parent's closet for more board games and totally scored! Our favorite we played on our Sunday Funday was Scotland Yard. One player is the criminal whose moves are hidden from the rest of the players who are detectives. The criminal only reveals his position a few times during the game, so the goal is for the detectives to capture the criminal. We three girls had so much fun being Charlie's Angels trying to find Greg, the criminal. 
Another really old game I scored, that only some of us geography nerds enjoyed (I never thought of myself as a geography nerd, but compared to my friends...), was National Geographic: Global Pursuit. It's part puzzle, part trivia. You use hexagonal pieces of a map to build onto each other and you get more chances to play your map cards if you answer your trivia question correctly. Our map got pretty crazy.
My friend and I totally kicked the engaged couple's ass at Catchphrase. Maybe they need to work on their communication skills. Ha.
A couple months ago, I ordered an adapter and two more PS2 controllers so I could finally play one of my favorite games with all my friends; The Bible Game. It's a long story how it all started, but the short versions is; I have a thing for Bible games (in an ironic way). This PS2 game is like a TV game show with mini games, trivia, and the ever-present threat of "Wrath of God!" We love it.
Kim and I had fun one day playing Mastermind. It's good to have some two-player games in your collection. I say we had fun, but I think it mostly drove Kim mad. You have to really use your brain for this one!

Cakes Made
Kelsey's belated birthday cake!


Fun Had

This was a pretty impulsive decision, but I don't regret it in the least! One night I got it in my head that I should actually bleach the shit outta my hair and go pastel (which I have always loved, but figured was impossible for my dark hair to achieve), so I stayed up past my bedtime pinning pretty colors, and the next day I was asking a hairstylist friend if she could do it. A week later, this was happening...
After a couple weeks of playing with the Manic Panic, I finally got my ends pink (had to mix some Hot Pink with the Cotton Candy Pink), and the rest some lovely shades of purple. I'm looking forward to trying lots of different colors eventually. :)

MONSTER SPECTACULAR! There are some things I would never say "No" to, and free VIP tickets to a monster truck show is one of them. There was BMX, stunt bikes, motocross bikes, and quad bikes as well as the monster trucks, so it was really quite a show.
Because we had VIP tickets, we got to go down onto the floor at half-time to get photos with the trucks & the guys and get autographs. Also, while we were walking around a guy asked me if I wanted to be in a music video! Duh, of course. I asked him who it was for, and he said Grandtheft, a Toronto artist. So, I will definitely be watching out for that!

My friends and I were really excited to see the bioluminescence exhibit at the Museum of Nature. It was pretty lame, though, because there wasn't any real animals to see. We wanted to see jellies and stuff! But then we went to the bug part of the museum, because they have real live bugs. I bought a rhinoceros beetle at the gift shop and then we hung out with this dino on the way home.

Link & Likes 

The Book of Life looks so incredible! I could have seen just one still from the trailer and I would still be obsessed! It's just my style with the Dio de los Meurtos skull faces and designs. I know what movie I will be seeing for my birthday (Halloween) this year! Aaaugh! Can't wait!

I'm really excited that one of my favorite YouTubers, Grace Helbig, has written a book!

A lot of trailers came out this month for the fall TV shows. I'm looking forward to A to Z, Marry Me, and Mulaney.

No comments: