DIY: Duct Tape Headboard

I made an impulse purchase at Michael's the other day. Purple and turquoise duct tape. Two of my favorite colors. I had no idea what I was going to use them for until I had the brilliant idea to use them to cover my ugly old headboard.

Before
Here's how I did it.

Step One: Cover in purple duct tape.It used up almost the entire roll.
Step Two: Draw cupcake on wax paper.
Step Three: Cover cupcake in duct tape.
Step Four: Cut out shapes.
Step Five: Peel off wax paper.
This was trickier than I thought. When I first tested the duct tape on the wax paper, it came of easily, but it wasn't so easy to get off the cut out shapes. I used an exact-o-knife to help. I didn't have the patience to get every speck of wax paper off the duct tape. I just tried to get most of if around the edges, at least, so it would stick.
Step Six: Stick cupcake shapes on headboard.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I always planned to cover the headboard with fabric or something, but never got around to it. Having that ugly headboard was the one old, ugly, tacky thing in my apartment. Everything else is very colorful, so now my headboard fits right it. The turquoise duct tape is almost the same color as my turquoise furniture, so it all ties together.


No comments: