March Round-Up


Spring is in the air! Finally! Here’s what I was up to in March, while I impatiently waited for Spring to arrive…

Movies Watched
The Great Gatsby - Although I was listening to the soundtrack pretty much as soon as the movie was out, I took a long time to actually watch it. The story was not what I thought, but I only knew the gist of it. The music and the party scenes were great and overall it had that grandiose feel of a Baz Luhrman movie, but more tragedy than comedy.

Jack the Giant Slayer - This was a pretty fun adventure. They took the giant-in-the-clouds concept and made it so much better.

Cool Runnings - All that Olympics bullshit reminded me of one of my favorite classics, so I wrote about it for my first Recollections post.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - Much better than the other teen fantasy novel-turned movie (Beautiful Creatures) that I watched last month. I want everyone's wardrobe. Black, leather, straps, buckles, metal, boots, bad ass. I am intrigued and actually anticipating the next movie!

Side By Side - Great documentary for anyone interested in filmmaking and the film industry. It consists mainly of interviews with filmmakers, directors, writers, actors, cinematographers, colorists, editors, etc. discussing film vs. digital. It also explains how film and digital work, gives lots of movie clip examples. I found it fascinating for the film nerd in me, and the film fan in me.

TV Watched
The Conversation -This was a re-watch. I think every woman needs to watch this show. The women discuss absolutely anything and everything. You will find something to relate to, something inspiring, something to make you pause it and think about your opinion on the issues. After I watched it all this time, I decided that I will give it to my mom and insist she watches it. We're not really close like we'd talk about this stuff, but I just feel like every woman should experience conversations like these. Lucky for you, you can watch the entire show, and extra interviews online.

Bunheads - As I was aching for Spring, I decided to watch this show that makes me feel very Spring/Summery. Ah, small town California. It's so idyllic. If you're a Gilmore Girls fan (I'm a massive one) you will enjoy Bunheads. From the same writer/creator, and featuring a lot of familiar cast.  It has more high school girl stuff than Gilmore Girls, but it doesn't get annoying like high school shows do. It's that pop-culture-reference-laden-fast-talking-humor that you love from Gilmore Girls, plus- dance!

Lost Girl: Season 4 - I discovered this show sometime last year, and I finally watched the latest season this past month. It's a sci-fi/fantasy show. Lots of adventures, fae, drama, sex, humor. I've come to love it, and the characters. My favorite in Kenzi (Ksenia Solo). She's smart and funny and has the most bad ass tough goth chick wardrobe.

Misfits: Season 5 - Sadly, the last season. But that means that you can snuggle in for a weekend and devour the entire series. What can I say to recommend this show? How about some keywords: British, superpowers, community service, murder, sex, loveable characters, hilarious, weird.

Web Series Watched
On Nerdist: Chris Hardwick’s All-Star Celebrity Bowling, Neil’s Puppet Dreams, Nerdist News
I've been listening to the Nerdist podcast for a while, and just recently checked out the YouTube channel. What a treasure trove of delights!

On Geek & Sundry: TableTop, The Guild, Co-Optitude
So much gaming! I'm not a "gamer" but after a few weeks of watching nothing but TableTop (board games) and Co-Optitude (retro video games) I filled up my Amazon wishlist with far too many board games and video games. I admit, watching these shows helped me have my big life revelation (that I wrote about here) about enjoying my life with my friends, instead of making myself feel guilty that I haven't achieved all my life goals yet. I want to have more fun!

Boozy Mom - This is just hilarious and how I imagine I will be as Crazy Aunt Tish when my friends' kids are older.

OMG We Bought a House! - I've been a Mr. Kate follower for quite a while now. I'm not always into her DIYs, but I love her new series about fixing up her new home. So many cool decor DIY ideas, and just fun to watch!

Music Played

The Glitch Mob, Bassnectar - I've been gettin' my dubstep on.

Pulses by Karmin -Love this whole album! So much fun dance music!

Run Run Run by Celeste Buckinham - A really fun, catchy song. I really love the line "You better know, know, know that I have conditions. I make the rules and make the decisions. And I want nothing less than what I deserve." I feel like I would straight up say that to anyone trying to start a relationship with me.

Charli XCX - Super fun dance-pop-bass-trippy-IdunnobutIloveit...

Games Played
 
My friends and I had our first (hopefully regular) Game Night at the end of March! After watching all that TableTop and Co-Optitude all month, I sent my friends a crazed Facebook message one night when I couldn’t sleep about starting a regular Game Night for board games, and maybe some retro video games. For our first Game Night, we all brought our favorites to see what we all like. We started easy with Yahtzee, then Linda had a fun game like Telephone/Chinese Whispers but writing & drawing which got very inappropriate very fast. (My friends have foul sense of humor and I ended up having to draw myself doing some unladylike things.) We tried playing Cranium but got bored/confused so we went right to Cards Against Humanity for the rest of the night. My friends' childish, disgusting sense of humor meant that the most vile card was always chosen, which made me mad because I thought my cards were funny yet made sense. Turned out we all tied in the end, so I pouted for no reason.

Cakes Made at Work

Videos Made
It’s the season finale of The Unicorn Hunt! Don’t be sad, though. I have some Fun Facts posts on our Tumblr going up every Wednesday, and we will be back with Season 2 before you know it. If you want to help us make Season 2, you can support us on Patreon.



Fun Had
I was so jealous of the photos Mandy was taking on Take Your Action Figure to Work Day because I did not know about it, nor did I own any action figures. I thought it would have been so cute to have a little Avenger helping me make cakes at work. Well, I liked this idea so much that I wouldn't let it go and it evolved into what I have named My Tiny Heroes. It will be an ongoing photo series, posted on my Instagram (#MyTinyHeroes) and also on its own Tumblr. I really wanted to start my action figure collection with an Avenger, but I found no appropriately pose-able figures at Wal-Mart that day, so I started with a no less awesome hero: Angry Raphael. He's angry. I can't wait to see what he does when I ask him to help me make cookies.

Link & Likes
Jimmy Kimmel Live turned viral videos into epic movie trailers. There are four altogether, but I think this interpretation of Charlie Bit My Finger starring the Hemsworth brothers is my favorite.

I love Lily Allen's video for Our Time. I can't wait for the album!

I've been happily dancing around to Pharrell's Happy this month, and I love this cover by Walk Off the Earth.

The ladies of A Beautiful Mess are always inspiring. I'm not always interested in their DIY or recipe posts, but they also post gems like this article about working in Young Industries (in their case, blogging). It's a good read for anyone pursuing an Internet-centered career, as it's all new and always changing!

No comments: