Movie Marathon // New to School



I used to love the pre-back-to-school time of year. Shopping for cute new school supplies?! Yay! Everything seems great. You've got your new wardrobe, new hair-do, new stuff, new you! Until you actually get back to school and you realize it's going to be the same shit with the same people all over again. Right?
Well, that part I definitely don't miss about school. But the excitement of a new school year? Yes! Or even more exciting/terrifying- Being new to a school. You get to try to completely reinvent yourself, make new friends, create a reputation, be the center of attention or the mysterious new kid... Oh, the possibilities. 
I think, as with most situations in life, the best idea is to just be yourself. Otherwise, you might end up in sticky situations like all these characters who were new to school and tried to be something they're not. Luckily for us, it makes movies a lot more fun, though.



The Musical: Grease (1978)
You know what makes watching this movie even more fun? Watching this movie with two guys who admit to having been in a performance of Grease in school and can't help but sing along with every song (even the girl parts). Remember that the moral of this story is that you can get a guy to like you if you dress in an all-black spandex outfit. With really big hair. At a school carnival. And sing at him.

The Sandler: Billy Madison (1995)
I still get quotes from this movie stuck in my head involuntarily. Every time I say something is "so hot", it turns into "Soooo hot! Want to touch the hiney!" in my head. And every time I'll Tumble for You by Boy George comes up in my iTunes shuffle I do Billy's little jig on the stairs. Writing all this "back to school" stuff for the blog means that "Back to school. Back to school. To prove to my Dad I'm not a fool." was sung in my head very often. I don't always like Adam Sandler movies, but Adam Sandler in the 90's? Yes, please.

The 90's Classic: Clueless (1995)
This movie had a big influence on me as kid. (I'm sure every girl alive in the 90's can relate.) I remember wanting to coordinate outfits with my best friend. She would wear her pink dress and I would wear my blue dress. With matching shoes, of course. Fortunately, my young mind just ignored all of the not-so-PG moments of the movie. When I watched the movie later as a teenager, I noticed all the drug references and was amazed that I had no recollection of those scenes as a kid. (And it wasn't because they took them out for TV, either. I can remember the bong donation scene, I just didn't know what it was.)



The SNL: Mean Girls (2004)
A movie about high school girls came out the year I was in ninth grade. The school organized a trip to take all the girls in school to see this movie. They thought it would teach us a lesson about cliques and bullying. We thought it was hilarious and discussed who were "The Plastics" of our school on the bus ride home. I'm pretty sure this is one of the most-quoted movies of the past decade. Thank you, Tina Fey. I'm not the only one who has seen this movie more times than I can remember, but still finds it funny, right? And sometimes we need a nice reminder of what Lindsay Lohan used to be. Sigh...

The LOL: She's the Man (2006)
Amanda Bynes is her own special brand of comedy. I never watched her TV show, but I find this movie (particularly her) so hilarious. The plot is based on the Shakespeare play Twelfth Night, which involves a lot of cross-dressing and mistaken identities. For the majority of the movie, Bynes' character is pretending to be a boy. Which means she is hilariously awkward in scenes with a delicious shirtless Channing Tatum. Hilariously awkward. Yup, that pretty much sums up the movie.

The Teen Dream: Bratz (2007) 
When Bratz dolls came out, I was too old to be playing with dolls. But that didn't stop me. I played with them, made up stories with them, dressed them up, ruined their hair trying to style it. I loved Bratz. For my fifteenth birthday, the Bratz movie (not this one, the first little animated DVD) was on my wishlist and I got it. And I loved it. I'm pretty sure I made a friend come with me to see this Bratz movie in the theatre and then anxiously awaited the DVD release. I love Bratz, okay?! This movie has everything. High school drama, friendship, cliques, fashion, a Super Sweet Sixteen party, love stories, musical performances! But seriously, like, which Bratz are you? (I'm Jade. Obvy. She wears a lot of black, is really into fashion, but is also a big geek.)

No comments: