Into the Wild

The main reason I wanted to see this movie was that I’d heard that Robert Pattinson wanted to do Twilight with Kristen Stewart because he thought her performance in Into the Wild was great. So, I wanted to see what all the hype was about, considering I’m not a fan of her acting. Kristen’s not in the movie for long, but I did like her character.
This movie is based on a book about the true story of Christopher McCandless who after graduating from college destroyed all his IDs, donated his life savings and without telling anyone, took off into the wild. The movie goes back and forth in time throughout his journey to get to Alaska to really live in the wild by himself. Throughout the story, Chris (played by Emile Hirsch) narrates his thoughts about society, his fucked up family and just really deep stuff. His sister (played by Jena Malone) also narrates about her brother’s life before he left, and what it was like after he disappeared.

I found the idea of taking off with no warning, leaving everyone you know, society, technology and your old life behind really inspiring. I won’t be running away with a backpack anytime soon, but he made a good point about finding true happiness, not with material possesions or a career, but to find it within yourself. However, at the end of the movie he realizes that he’s actually lonely and that happiness is “only real when shared”.

This movie is definitely what I call a “thinker”. It really makes you think about your life and what it’s all about. It also makes me want to travel more and explore this world. Watch this movie and maybe learn something about yourself.

No comments: